Ponte Vedra will soon be home to specialized memory care living when Arbor Terrace Ponte Vedra opens in summer 2015. Located at 5125 Palm Valley Rd., Arbor Terrace Ponte Vedra will differ from many memory care programs, which typically offer memory care as part of a larger assisted living program, by focusing solely on serving residents with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
The memory care program at Arbor Terrace Ponte Vedra will emphasize exceptional care within a structured environment to provide enhanced safety to residents with Alzheimer’s or other memory disorders. Additionally, Arbor Terrace Ponte Vedra will have access to an Alzheimer’s team trainer, who works intensively with memory care programs to help staff deliver compassionate and clinically advanced care.
Leading into the holiday season, the team at Arbor Terrace Ponte Vedra has developed a list of holiday gift-giving tips for local families looking for safe and useful gift ideas for loved ones with memory disorders.
- Instead of gifting a Poinsettia, replace that idea with an herb or other edible, aromatic plant. A kit that loved ones can plant with family or staff members is also a great idea.
- Many families have memories of making holiday cookies, candies or chocolates together. Turn those memories into a gift by creating a book of favorite recipes that loved ones used to cook and include a memory, written or photo, to go along with each recipe. Family members could also include a basket of ingredients for one of the recipes, which they can help their loved one bring to life.
- Give the gift of music. Fill an iPod or CD with favorite songs that loved ones can listen to all year long and include headphones for easy listening.
- Create a photo album of loved ones’ favorite pictures with written memories that they can enjoy long after visitors are gone. Another idea would be to include a DVD slide show with favorite songs.
- Create a DVD with old family photos that can be watched over and over again. Include special messages from family and friends.
- Gift subscriptions to magazines that evoke positive memories such as history, gardening or bird-watching.
- Make a memory box filled with items from the past that loved ones can touch and feel as they reminisce. Items to include could be family heirlooms, an old baseball glove or gardening gloves, a favorite article of clothing or a stuffed animal. Or, the box could be for specific experiences. For example, a trip to the beach box could include seashells, sand and suntan lotion.
Finding the perfect gift for the holidays can be tough, and searching for the right gift for someone with memory disorders can sometimes be even more of a challenge. The key is to make sure the gift is safe and useful. More tips for celebrating the holidays with loved ones with dementia are available through the Alzheimer’s Association at www.alz.org.
Arbor Terrace Ponte Vedra will be a 64-bed, memory care-only assisted living community. It is a partnership between local developer Whitehall Realty Partners and senior living management group The Arbor Company. The two have also partnered in Arbor Terrace Ortega, which opened in September 2013, and Arbor Terrace San Jose along St. Augustine Road, which will break ground this spring. Learn more about Arbor Terrace Ponte Vedra by visiting www.at-pontevedra.com or by calling (904) 834-7578.